Breakfast Tacos with Spinach, Sweet Potato and Spicy Charro Beans
Breakfast tacos are one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. I mean, tacos… for breakfast. That’s all kinds of yes…
Traditional breakfast taco options in Texas usually feature some sort of meat and/or egg. Occasionally, in larger establishments, they will offer vegetarian options such as bean and cheese or nopalitos (cactus). Very rarely do I find a truly vegan option when eating out.
At home, I can do what I want with my tacos, thank you very much. You can pile so many delicious things inside a tortilla and call it a taco. I love it! For breakfast tacos, some of our favorite options are: beans, potatoes, onions, peppers and hot sauce. The possibilities are really endless, though.
A word about hot sauce
For tacos, we primarily use two different hot sauces. The Mexican hot sauce Cholula is my favorite for the heat, flavor and slight tang. The rest of the fam loves Chipotle Tabasco, for the smokiness and flavor.
Born of breakfast desperation
This particular morning, I was working from home, starving and too busy to make something that would take longer than five minutes. Thankfully, I had four things in my fridge that came to my rescue.
- Spicy Charro Pinto Beans I had made the day before
- Roasted Sweet Potato I had made the day before
- Fresh Spinach
A new breakfast taco was born. And, my belly was filled stat. In five minutes, I piled it all together, popped it in the microwave, slathered on the hot sauce and devoured it.
They were SO GOOD.
Why haven’t I thought of this before???
I never put spinach on breakfast tacos. Or sweet potato. Why???
They are beautiful together.
And, the charro beans and Cholula pumped up the flavor and pulled it all together.
I will be making these again, so here’s the recipe!
P.S. Keep scrolling for a crispy double potato addition to take it over the top.
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, washed
- 2 cups prepared Spicy Charro Pinto Beans or prepared beans of your choice
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into thick rustic "fries"
- hot sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Spread sweet potatoes on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Heat beans in small saucepan on stove or microwave. Then, drain.
- Heat tortillas on flat griddle or in microwave.
- Assemble tacos by layering spinach on tortilla first, then adding sweet potatoes, beans and hot sauce. Serve hot. Enjoy!
If you’re being bad, serving this for company or tried to please kiddos, heat up some hash brown patties until they’re good and crispy, slice them on the diagonal and add them to the top of the taco. OMG. Heaven. But, not oil-free. Obviously. But, so good. Try it.