As soon as the weather starts to even hint at fall, we all get excited. Cooler weather is the biggest draw after a long, hot Texas summer. That nice cool breeze when you open the front door puts me in an instant good mood.
Floating scents of pumpkin bread take my good mood to another level. Have you ever made a recipe and everything came together just perfectly? That's what happened with this pumpkin bread. It turned out so beautiful and moist with just the right amount of sweetness. I'm not a fan of overly sweet things. I get an instant headache. This was spot on.
This recipe uses a little brown sugar, but most of the sweetness comes from coconut sugar, maple syrup and the pumpkin itself. It needs no oil whatsoever, so is Whole Food Plant Based, McDougall, Starch Solution friendly.
While I use a blend of flours, you can use all whole wheat or white whole wheat, if you wish. The bread will just turn out a bit heavier.
The almond milk + apple cider vinegar becomes a "vegan buttermilk" of sorts. This interacts with the baking soda and baking powder to make this bread rise without using eggs. You can use any other plant-based milk of your choice, but the thicker milks (coconut, soy, cashew) will be the closest substitute for the almond milk.
Stoneware bread pans from Pampered Chef are naturally non-stick and cook very evenly. My mini pans are normal non-stick bread pans. If you don't have non-stick pans, you can line your bread pans with parchment paper to prevent from having to use oil.
Okay, enough about the mechanics and onto the actual recipe. Can you already smell it?
💜 More recipes you'll love
Love this recipe? Subscribe here so you don't miss any new recipes!
Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ⅓ cup pumpkin purée
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon almond milk mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts and/or pepitas, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugars, soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pumpkin, maple syrup, and almond milk/vinegar.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir together until moistened.
- Reserve a tablespoon or two of nuts to sprinkle on top of loaf. Fold in remaining nuts, if using.
- Pour into non-stick or lined bread pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until the top is browned and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
If using a mini loaf pan, bake for 30-40 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 4gSugar: 30gProtein: 9g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.