This hash brown breakfast bowl is a filling, healthy and delicious way to get your greens in and fuel your body for the day. Using an air fryer or non-stick pan is key to cooking up the shredded potatoes without having to use oil.
For this vegan breakfast bowl, you'll need:
- Frozen shredded potatoes with no added oil (check the ingredients)
- Fresh spinach
- Frozen corn
- Grape tomatoes
- BBQ sauce (optional)
How to cook hash browns without oil
There are several ways to cook hash browns without oil. I'll list the ones I've tried, in order of, well, what's worked for me.
- Air Fryer: this is my current preferred method of cooking oil-free hash browns. In my air fryer, I can cook half a bag of frozen shredded potatoes at a time, which yields 1-2 servings. Time: 15 minutes. Hands-off preparation.
- Non-stick Skillet: Before I had an air fryer, this was my preferred method. Your skillet has to be truly non-stick for this to work and not end up with steamed potatoes and a pan to scrub. Time: 15 minutes. Hands-on preparation.
- Bake in Oven: If we have a lot of hash browns to make, we sometimes put them in the oven, spread out on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Bake at 425 F until crispy on edges and top. Flip as needed. Time: 30-40 minutes. Mostly hands-off preparation, except for flipping.
- Waffle Iron: I did this a few times and it did give me crispy hash browns in a waffle shape, but my waffle iron is not truly non-stick and I had to use a little oil to prevent it from sticking. I have heard rave reviews about this method from folks with truly non-stick waffle irons or George Foreman grills. Another key to this method is to leave the hash browns to cook until a crust has formed, so they don't stick. It takes a good 10-15 minutes (much longer than you would cook a waffle). Time: 15 minutes. Hands-off preparation.
For this recipe, I'll give you instructions for the Air Fryer and Non-Stick Skillet methods, because those are the simplest, most efficient methods for making oil-free hash browns. Most likely, you have either a non-stick skillet or an air fryer sitting in your kitchen right now.
I hope you enjoy this quick, filling and healthy breakfast bowl!
- 15 ounces frozen shredded potatoes
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- BBQ sauce (optional)
To prepare hashbrowns in air fryer: pour frozen shredded potatoes in air fryer basket in an even layer, insert basket and set to cook at 400 F for 15 minutes.
To prepare hashbrowns in non-stick skillet: Preheat large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for about 60 seconds. Pour shredded potatoes in skillet and spread them in an even layer. Let cook for 5-7 minutes on one side. Do not stir. Check them to see if they are browning. If they are browned, then flip (you may have to do this in sections). Cook 5-7 minutes on other side. Again, do not stir. Once they are browned on both sides and the middle is hot, they're done.
To prepare veggies: Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and spinach and stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until spinach is just wilted and corn is hot. Add tomatoes and cook another 1 minute.
To serve: Add hashbrowns to bowl or plate, then veggies either on top or on the side. Serve with BBQ sauce (optional) or salt and pepper.
You could also serve this with ketchup or salsa, instead of the BBQ sauce. All are delicious oil-free condiment options.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1096mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 10g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.