Caffeine-free pumpkin spice "latte" for kids or anyone who loves the taste of autumn. Looking for a hot fall drink for kids other than hot cocoa? Try this warming pumpkin spice steamer.
Super simple and easy to prepare, the pumpkin spice syrup using natural coconut sugar keeps all autumn long in the refrigerator. So, you can make a homemade PSL anytime you want.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you quick & simple plant-based recipes every week!
Rest assured, this is a caffeine-free pumpkin spice "latte". Really, it would most accurately be called a steamer. Or, a flavored steamed milk. And, it's totally vegan and dairy-free.
It's super easy drink to make at home for kids when the weather starts turning a bit cold.
🧄 Ingredient notes
Here are the ingredients to make the homemade pumpkin spice simple syrup.
- Plant-based, dairy-free milk - Oat milk, soy milk and almond milk are all excellent dairy-free choices to make this steamer.
- Coconut sugar - A malty, rich granulated sweetener that is not as refined as cane sugar or brown sugar. It is the closest in taste to brown sugar from the list of natural, unrefined sweeteners.
- Pumpkin pie spice - Traditionally used to flavor pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie spice is a combination of warming spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. It is sold already mixed together, so you just have to buy one spice, instead of four. Absolutely vital to this recipe.
- Marshmallows - optional, but recommended, if serving to kids (or fun-loving adults). If you're looking for vegan marshmallows, Trader Joe's has some good ones that also happen to be gluten-free. You can also order vegan marshmallows online.
Step by step photos on how to make kids pumpkin spice steamed milk drinks.
Make the refined sugar free homemade pumpkin spice simple syrup first.
Then mix 1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice syrup with 8 ounces (1 cup) of warmed plant-based milk. Oat milk, soy milk and almond milk are all great choices and will not separate when they're warmed (be sure not to boil the milk!). But, pick the one you and your kids like best.
Top with vegan marshmallows and a dusting of cinnamon!
How to make it kid-friendly
My boys have been making their own coffee-less kids pumpkin spice lattes with our homemade pumpkin spice simple syrup, which stores really well in the refrigerator. Don't worry, there's no caffeine here to fuel Nerf battles.
I keep the syrup in a pourable container to reduce the mess. It would also work really well in an empty, clean, squeezable ketchup jar! I told them how long to heat up the milk in the microwave, so it didn't get too hot.
These fall drinks for kids are like pumpkin spice steamers or pumpkin spice steamed milk. Basically, warm, delicious autumn bombs.
A great alternative to hot cocoa. Or, if you're trying to stay away from coffee or caffeine, this is the perfect way to inject fall flavor in your own caffeine-free pumpkin spice latte.
Warm milk + pumpkin spice syrup + marshmallows. Can you get any more autumn than that? An explosion of flavor and fun, in a Star Wars mug.
Little boy dream drink that’s easy enough for them to prepare themselves. Plus, tell a kid it’s called an autumn bomb and they’ll automatically like it. Promise.
When making a hot drink for kids, do not heat the liquid above 130 degrees Farenheit. This is the temperature Starbucks uses for their kids hot cocoa.
Hot cocoa, pumpkin spice steamer, apple cider, warm chai tea (caffeine-free), warm peppermint tea, warm chamomile tea, caffeine-free apple spice tea.
A pumpkin spice steamer is like a pumpkin spice latte without espresso or coffee. It is caffeine-free. It's basically hot milk with pumpkin spice syrup added to it and whipped cream on top.
Yes, you can get a pumpkin spice latte without coffee or espresso. Ask for a pumpkin spice steamer and tell them that kind of milk you want to use and whether or not you want whipped cream.
💜 More recipes you'll love
If you love this kid's pumpkin spice latte / steamer recipe, then check out these other vegan kid-friendly recipes I have! They are little boy approved.
Pumpkin Spice Steamer - Great Fall Drink for Kids!
- Stir pumpkin spice syrup and milk together in a mug and heat in microwave for one minute.1 tablespoon pumpkin spice syrup, ¾ cup almond milk
- Stir again, test temperature of milk to make sure it's not too hot or too cold.
- Add a dusting of ground cinnamon and marshmallows and serve!⅓ cup marshmallows, dusting of ground cinnamon