Creamy, tangy marinated tofu feta, perfect for crumbling onto a Greek salad. This oil-free vegan feta recipe is high in protein, low in fat and has that distinctive feta tang. Try adding to a vegan, plant-based charcuterie board!
🧄 Ingredient notes
When attempting to mimic feta, but without animal products, tofu is naturally the first option. It's white, creamy and keeps it shape when cubed. It crumbles. And, it absorbs flavors remarkably well.
For the marinade, we want tanginess, saltiness and Greek flavors.
So, we're going to use oregano (dried oregano or fresh oregano), Kalamata olive brine, vinegar (either red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar), miso paste and salt.
👨👩👦👦 Serving suggestions
Vegan Greek Salad
We love to top a traditional Greek salad of romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pepperoncini peppers and purple onion with cubes of marinated tofu feta.
Watermelon Cucumber Salad
It adds a beautiful tang to a sweet and salty summer salad of watermelon, cucumber, tofu feta, basil and mint.
Add to vegan charcuterie board
For a party appetizer tray or vegan charcuterie board, lay out tofu feta, sundried tomatoes, green olives, kalamata olives, crackers, grapes, sliced cucumber and peppers on a beautiful plate or platter and it will be devoured in no time.
Snacking and in wraps
You can also eat them as a snack or crumbled into a vegetable pita wrap.
Tofu is high in protein and low in fat.
This tofu feta will last, in its marinade for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
I would recommend using either red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I've tested both and they both work with this recipe.
No. Traditional feta cheese is not vegan. But, this marinated tofu feta cheese recipe has no animal products and is vegan-friendly.
Yes! This oil-free vegan tofu feta recipe uses a brine to mimic the flavor of feta cheese.
Plant Powered Kitchen had a genius idea to boil the diced tofu first to impart more flavor and she was right on target.
This same method is used in this recipe, but the brine and ingredients are different. This plant-based marinated tofu recipe is oil-free, as well.
💜 More recipes you'll love
Vegan, Oil-Free Tofu Feta
- Sauce pan
- Mason jar with lid quart-size
Brine Tofu Feta
- Add tofu, water, vinegar, salt and garlic to saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.14 ounces firm tofu, 2 cups water, ½ cup vinegar, ½ teaspoon sea salt, 4 cloves garlic
- After the tofu has finished boiling for 20 minutes, drain.
Marinate and Store Tofu Feta
- For the marinade, combine the miso, oregano, lemon juice, vinegar and olive brine in a small bowl and whisk together and set aside.1 tablespoon miso paste, 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons vinegar, ½ cup olive brine from a can of olives
- Add drained tofu to a quart-size mason jar with lid (or other container, preferably glass). Then, pour marinade into the jar. Fill with water until the tofu is just covered. Put a lid tightly on the container and gently shake it to combine.
- Place jar in refrigerator to cool. Allow tofu to marinate and chill for at least 2 hours before enjoying. Store in refrigerator for up to 10 days.