Creamy, firm and not overly sweet, these mini vegan pumpkin pies are easy to make, delicious and adorable! Our healthy low sugar pumpkin tart filling made with silken tofu requires no coconut, no oil and is dairy-free. Make 12 individual single serving mini pies or mini tarts.
Make these mini pumpkin tarts for vegan afternoon tea parties, baby showers, wedding showers or special family dinners.
These mini pumpkin pies are a miniature version of my easy vegan pumpkin pie recipe. This recipe has been adapted, with specific instructions for how to make them with mini tart pie crusts.
🧄 Ingredient notes
- Silken tofu - used as a substitute for evaporated milk, condensed milk and eggs (along with the cornstarch) in the pie. Adds creaminess, protein and reduces fat and cholesterol. Use firm or extra firm silken tofu. I recommend the Morinu brand.
- Pumpkin puree - be sure the only ingredient on the can is: pumpkin. Do not use canned prepared pumpkin pie filling.
- Cane sugar - use a granulated cane sugar that is free of bone char. This is a low sugar recipe, so we're using just ½ cup of sugar for the whole pie. If you want your pie to taste as sweet as traditional pumpkin pie, then increase the amount of sugar to ⅔ cup. If you want an even lower sugar version, we've successfully tested this recipe with only ⅓ cup sugar.
- Cornstarch - used as a substitute for eggs in the pie filling, along with the silken tofu
- Store-bought mini tartlet crusts - look for mini frozen tart crusts that are made with vegetable oil (not butter or lard) for it to be vegan. You should be able to find this in a typical grocery store, but may need to go to a large grocers that stocks lots of frozen pastry items.
📋 Substitutions and variations
Here are some suitable substitutions for the ingredients:
- Frozen mini tartlet crusts - substitute with your favorite homemade tart short crust recipe or omit the crust altogether for mini crustless pumpkin pies (pour filling into ramekins).
- Silken tofu - use firm or extra firm silken tofu by Morinu
- Sugar - substitute with maple syrup or coconut sugar for a refined sugar free version
- Cornstarch - use arrowroot powder instead
- Pumpkin pie spice - use this recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice using 4 common spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves instead
- Pumpkin puree - instead of canned pumpkin, use homemade pumpkin puree instead
Want to switch it up? Try one of these variations:
- Large pumpkin pie - use one deep dish pie crust instead of the mini ones to make a normal-sized pumpkin pie instead.
- Crustless pumpkin pie - omit the crust altogether and pour the filling equally between 6-12 ramekins and bake according to this recipe. 100 Calorie Crustless Pumpkin Pie Ramekins Recipe
- Pumpkin pie baked oatmeal - use that can of pumpkin puree, along with plant-based milk, pumpkin pie spice and sugar to make pumpkin pie baked oatmeal all autumn
- Gluten-free - make this gluten-free by using your favorite mini gluten free tart crusts
- WFPBNO - make this whole food plant based no oil by using an oil-free tart crust recipe and replacing the sugar with coconut sugar or maple syrup.
- SOS-free - make this SOS-free by omitting the salt
Step by step instructions for making mini vegan pumpkin pies.
Position an oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 350°F. Thaw mini pie crusts slightly while oven is preheating. Then, poke holes with a fork in all of them to allow the air to escape so they don't puff up.
Blind bake the mini pie crusts first for 5 minutes on middle rack of oven. Transfer to a rack, and let cool completely.
Add the pumpkin puree, silken tofu, sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt to the blender or food processor.
Blend or process until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
Pour ¼ cup (65g) of filling into each pre-baked tart shell. Bake on top of a baking sheet until firm and set, 30 to 35 minutes.
Let cool completely on a rack. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to overnight. Slice and serve with dairy-free whipped topping, if desired.
🧯 Food safety
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking
- Use oven mitts when baking to prevent burning your hands
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
⭐️ Expert tips
- The pies will darken as they cook. They will look too light in color before baking, but will bake into that beautiful pumpkin pie color afterwards.
- To prevent condensation forming on top of the pies in the refrigerator, allow them to cool before refrigerating, store them uncovered or with a paper towel under the plastic wrap to collect any moisture.
- High speed blender or food processor
🥡 Make ahead and storage tips
Prepare the pumpkin pie filling ahead of time and store in the refrigerator up to 5 days before baking.
Baked tarts should be stored in the refrigerator and will be good up to 5 days. They can be frozen in an airtight container up to 3 months.
☕️ Tea pairing
These mini pumpkin pies are delicious paired with darjeeling black tea (pictured), rooibos tea or chai. They can also be served with classic earl grey tea with vegan milk suited well for tea and sugar.
💜 More recipes you'll love
If you love this recipe for mini pumpkin pies, check out these other delicious plant-based dessert recipes!
Mini Vegan Pumpkin Pies - Single Serving Pumpkin Tarts
- High speed blender or food processor
- 12 mini frozen tart crusts
- Dairy-free whipped cream optional
Pre-bake pie crust
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat oven to 350°F. Thaw mini tart pie crusts slightly while oven is preheating. Then, poke holes with a fork in each pie crust to allow the air to escape so it doesn't puff up.12 mini frozen tart crusts
- Bake for 5 minutes on middle rack of oven. Transfer to a rack, and let cool completely.
Make the filling
- Process the pumpkin puree, silken tofu, sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt in a blender or food processor until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed.15 ounces pumpkin puree, 8 ounces silken tofu, ½ cup cane sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Bake and chill pie
- Fill each mini tart shell with ¼ cup (65g) of filling. Place mini pies on a baking sheet, for easier transport and then bake until firm and set, 30 to 35 minutes. If baking in air fryer, reduce heat to 325°F and check them at 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a rack. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to overnight. Slice and serve with dairy-free whipped topping, if desired.Dairy-free whipped cream