This recipe requires just 3 ingredients:
Preparing the tofu
First, prepare your extra firm tofu by gently squeezing the liquid with a clean dish towel or paper towel.
I recommend using extra firm tofu here because it saves so much time! No need to press
If you're using firm tofu or if your extra firm tofu is very wet, consider pressing it to remove more of the moisture.
Here's how to press tofu:
- Remove the tofu from the container
- Place several paper towels on a plate
- Place tofu on top of paper towels
- Place another plate or small, flat cutting board on top of tofu
- Place a weight on top (like a large can)
- Let sit for 30 minutes
Now, cut your tofu into 12-16 pieces of your desired shape. My favorite shapes to cut tofu are:
- thin, flat rectangles - great for veggie sandwiches
- long, rectangular "fingers" - great for spring rolls and banh mi
- thin, flat triangles - so pretty in vermicelli bowls or rice bowls!
- cubes - versatile for rice bowls, noodle bowls and snacking
Prepare the sauce
How to marinate tofu
You can marinate tofu by placing it in a plastic bag, but I find that this breaks the tofu pieces.
I prefer to marinate this sweet chili tofu in a small baking dish, since it has a flat, wide, surface.
Pour a thin layer of marinade at the bottom of the dish, then layer your cut pieces of tofu over the marinade. It's okay if they touch, but it would be best if you can make just one layer.
Then, brush the rest of the marinade over the top of the tofu.
Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes. You can marinate it longer, up to overnight covered in the refrigerator, for more flavor to seep inside.
How to air fry tofu
Repeat with second batch, if necessary.
If you don't have an air fryer, or you want to bake the whole batch in one go, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake your tofu at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
👨👩👦👦 Serving Suggestions
Thin, flat rectangle pieces of baked tofu make an excellent filling for veggie sandwiches.
Store any leftover tofu in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
💜 More recipes you'll love
Love this recipe? Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, sliced into 12-16 pieces of desired size
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- Prepare the extra firm tofu by pressing it gently in a clean dish cloth or paper towels, then cutting into 12-16 pieces of desired shape (long rectangles, triangles, squares).
- Mix soy sauce and sweet chili sauce in bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of sweet chili marinade on the bottom of a baking dish, then place your tofu pieces on top. Then, brush the rest of marinade on top. Marinate for at least 10 minutes, up to overnight.
- Line air fryer with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
- Air fry at 400 F for 12 minutes, or until browned on the edges. Alternatively, you can bake these in the oven at 400 for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Extra firm tofu: I recommend using extra firm tofu for this recipe, because it has less liquid and doesn't really need to be pressed beforehand. If you have firm tofu, press it beforehand to remove some of the liquid so it will absorb the marinade.
- Soy sauce: sub with tamari or coconut aminos
- Sweet chili sauce: sub with prepared general tso's sauce or asian orange sauce
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 888mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 13g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.