Crunchy, tasty and healthy fat free tortilla chips with five different seasoning options. Perfect for dipping into salsa, vegan queso, spinach dip or for snacking. Oil-free, no salt baked corn tortilla chips you can make in the air fryer in less than 10 minutes!
1-ingredient recipe for air fryer tortilla chips with no oil (instructions given for oven baking too). Ready in 10 minutes in the air fryer and under 20 minutes baked in the oven.
Baked corn tortilla chips are super crunchy, low calorie, oil-free and a healthy appetizer for your next game day, super bowl party or potluck.
Use them to scoop up queso, guacamole, pico de gallo, vegan chile con queso, salsa fresca, spinach artichoke dip or bean dip. They are also a great plant-based, vegan snack to pack in a school lunch box or take with you when you're running errands.
🧄 Ingredient notes
- Corn tortillas - find the thinnest store-bought corn tortillas you can find. They bake up crunchier and faster the thinner they are. Look for the standard size (about 5-6 inches across in diameter) in the Mexican or Hispanic foods section of your grocery store. And, make sure they are oil-free by checking the ingredient list (most are).
📋 Substitutions and variations
Here are some substitution options for the ingredients:
- Mini corn tortillas - Use street taco corn tortillas instead, which are about ⅔ the size of traditional corn tortillas instead. They can be cut in half, for half-moon shapes (pictured below with the everything bagel seasoning on them). Or, cut them into fourths for small chips.
- Flour, multigrain or flavored wrap tortillas - Use non-corn tortillas instead, but keep in mind that most flour tortillas are made with oil and are higher in calories than corn tortillas. And, the larger burrito style wrap tortillas will be larger pieces when cut.
- Homemade tostada shells - make air fryer tostada shells using whole corn tortillas, regular sized or mini
- Lime juice - use water in a spray bottle or brushed on to help the seasonings and salt stick, instead of the lime juice.
- SOS-free - make this recipe salt-free by omitting the salt or using no salt seasonings
Try one of these tasty seasoning options for these healthy tortilla chips:
- Salted Lime Chips - imagine you're at Chipotle by adding fresh lime juice and salt to the chips immediately when they come out of the air fryer. Do not add before baking, the lime loses its flavor and makes the chips stick to the pan.
- Chili Lime Seasoning - whether using Tajín or Trader Joe's Chili Lime, it's a delicious addition. Spritz chips with water, then sprinkle seasoning on halfway through cooking. If you add it at the beginning, it begins to burn by the end when the chips are done, because the seasoning is very fine.
- Taco Seasoning - Spicy and flavorful, an excellent seasoning for corn chips. Spritz chips with water, then sprinkle seasoning on halfway through cooking. If you add it at the beginning, it begins to burn by the end when the chips are done, because the seasoning is very fine.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning - Garlicky and salty, a surprising favorite in our house. Since the seasoning pieces are large, this can be added before baking. Spritz chips with water first, to help the seasoning stick.
- Cinnamon Sugar - A sweet option, sprinkle cinnamon sugar to the chips that have been wet with a spray of water first. These taste best when using flour tortillas, but can be used to season corn tortillas also. To take these over the top and give them crispy sopapilla vibes, drizzle with agave nectar (or maple syrup/honey) and powdered sugar.
Looking for a homemade fat-free baked pita chips recipe? I've got one! Give it a try, they're just as easy and crunchy as these oil-free tortilla chips.
Step by step instructions for how to make this easy recipe. The most challenging part is making sure you add your seasonings at the right time and watching them at the end of cooking, so they don't burn. These chips can be baked in the oven or air fryer.
This is how you cut the tortillas into chips.
Stack all of the tortillas on top of each other and, using a long knife, cut them in half down the middle.
We want six equal pieces, so cut at a diagonal, like you would a pizza.
Make final cut, so you have 6 wedges.
Now, you have 36 unbaked chips (6 tortillas, cut into 6 pieces each).
How to make tortilla chips without oil in an air fryer
How many chips you can cook at once and how long it will take depends on the type and size of your air fryer.
With my Ninja Foodi, I can fit 5 cut-up corn tortillas on my basket in one layer. With a pod-style air fryer, you'll have to break it up into 2 batches, most likely.
Add chips to air fryer in a single layer, if possible. Don't overcrowd the tray or basket.
Air fry at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes. Check on them and shake the basket every 60 seconds afterwards. They are done when they are lightly golden, crispy and not bendable.
If you choose to season your chips, some seasonings are best to add before baking, some during and some at the end. Refer to the recipe card for specific instructions for adding various seasonings.
For example, if using fresh lime juice, it's best to add it immediately after the chips are done air frying or baking.
How to bake tortilla chips without oil in the oven
Arrange cut tortilla pieces on a baking sheet in one layer. Do not overlap the pieces. Bake at 400°F (no fan) for 7 minutes and then check them.
If they are still bendable or soft in the middle, continue baking and check on them every 2 minutes. They will continue to crisp up a little after they’re done baking, but they should be golden brown and firm straight out of the oven.
🧯 Food safety
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas oven or stove
⭐️ Expert tips
- Watch the chips closely toward the end of the cooking time! They go from golden brown to burnt pretty fast, especially in the air fryer.
- Don't add the fresh lime juice at the beginning of cooking, it loses a lot of its lovely flavor that way.
- Air fryer or oven to bake them in
- Water bottle sprayer, for spritzing the chips with water to help the seasonings stick
🥡 Make ahead and storage tips
These oil free tortilla chips can be made ahead of time, except for the variety using fresh lime juice.
For all other chips using dry seasonings, be sure to allow the cooked chips to cool completely, then store in a a zip-top bag or airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
👨👩👦👦 Vegan dips to serve with chips
All of these vegan dips and recipes are perfect served with these homemade healthy tortilla chips:
- Fresh pico de gallo (salsa fresca)
- Easy vegan chile con queso nacho cheese
- Vegan Sour Cream (cashew cream)
- Vegan spicy charro pinto beans in the crockpot
- Loaded Vegan Nachos
- 5-Minute Vegan Black Bean Dip
- Dairy-free Spinach Artichoke Dip
Plain, salted tortilla chips are vegan, in most cases, as the ingredients are usually just corn tortillas, vegetable oil, salt and a preservative.
It's quick and easy to make your own baked tortilla chips at home.
It's healthier and low-calorie. Most standard, fried tortilla chips get about half of their total calories from the oil alone. So, if you skip the oil (which has very little, if any nutrition), you're cutting the calories in half. You can have your chips and eat them too! Baking your own homemade tortilla chips also means you can control the salt content and seasonings. You can enjoy these as salt-free tortilla chips, or add your own preferred level of salt to them. You can also experiment with different flavors!
Yes! They will get crispy and crunchy without oil. See below for instructions.
Yes! I don't know about you, but my favorite chips are the ones that curl up or fold over on themselves because they're so crispy and munchable. Well, these chips kinda separate and create layers sometimes, depending on the corn tortillas you use. That makes them extra crunchy and munchable!
Don't overcrowd the sheet pan or air fryer basket! The cut tortillas should not overlap each other. They can be close to each other as they will shrink and curl up a bit while they bake, but shouldn't overlap. Keep them in a single layer. Six corn tortillas that have been cut into six triangles each just fit a large baking tray. That will give you 36 chips.
No. While I normally advise using a silicone baking mat to keep things from sticking, that is not necessary here. These oil-free tortilla chips do not stick, as they have very little water content to them. In fact, if you use one, it will slow down the baking process and make it take much longer to get these crunchy baked corn chips done and ready for some dip!
🗺 Cultural influences
Tortilla chips are now enjoyed the world over, but they originate from Mexican culture. According to Wikipedia and Mayan Mexican, the triangle-shaped tortilla chip was popularized by Rebecca Webb Carranza in the 1940s.
She took misshapen corn tortillas, cut them into triangles, fried them and sold them for 10 cents a bag in Los Angeles.
Today, you will find countless brands and varieties of tortilla chips sold in stores to choose from as a vessel for your salsas and dips.
🌮 More TexMex recipes you'll love
Homemade Fat Free Baked Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer or oven to bake them
OPTIONAL Seasonings (choose one)
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 205°C. If using air fryer, you can skip this step.
- Stack all of the tortillas on top of each other and, using a long knife, cut them into sixths to make little triangles (cut them like you would cut a pizza).6 corn tortillas
- Spread slices on a large baking sheet in one layer. For air fryer, add half the slices to your air fryer basket. Do not overlap the slices. Don't crowd the sheet pan or air fryer basket.
- Optional Seasoning Step: If using cinnamon sugar, everything bagel seasoning or just salt (no lime), add your seasoning BEFORE baking. To do so, spritz top of tortilla chips with water (you can also lightly brush water on, if you don't have a spray bottle) and sprinkle on your chosen seasoning.salt, everything bagel seasoning, cinnamon sugar
Air Fryer Instructions
- Air fry at 375°F for 5 minutes.
- Optional Seasoning Step: If using chili lime seasoning or taco seasoning (or other similar-sized seasoning powder), add at this point. To do so, spritz top of tortilla chips with water to help it stick (you can also lightly brush water on, if you don't have a spray bottle) and sprinkle on your chosen seasoning.chili lime seasoning, taco seasoning
- Check on your chips and shake the basket (if you have a basket-type air fryer) every 60 seconds. The chips are done when they are golden brown, crispy and not bendable.
- Optional Seasoning Step: If using fresh lime juice and salt, add at this point. To do so, squeeze lime juice on top of tortilla chips and sprinkle on salt. Enjoy!fresh lime juice and salt
Oven Baked Instructions
- Bake at 400°F (no fan) for 7 minutes and then check them.
- Optional Seasoning Step: If using chili lime seasoning or taco seasoning (or other similar-sized seasoning powder), add at this point. To do so, spritz top of tortilla chips with water to help it stick (you can also lightly brush water on, if you don't have a spray bottle) and sprinkle on your chosen seasoning.
- If they are still bendable or soft in the middle, continue baking and check on them every 2 minutes. They will continue to crisp up a little after they’re done baking, but they should be firm straight out of the oven.
- Optional Seasoning Step: If using fresh lime juice and salt, add at this point. To do so, squeeze lime juice on top of tortilla chips and sprinkle on salt. Enjoy!
Note: this recipe was updated on August 19, 2022 to include several tested seasonings for these homemade tortilla chips.