1-ingredient recipe for fat-free baked tortilla chips with no oil. Ready in 20 minutes! Baked corn chips are super crunchy, low calorie, oil-free and great for game day, super bowl parties, chips and dip, queso, guacamole or just snacking.
These healthy chips are perfect for scooping up pico de gallo, vegan chile con queso, salsa fresca, spinach artichoke dip or bean dip. They are also a great plant-based, vegan snack to pack in a school lunch box or take with you when you're running errands.
🧄 Ingredient notes
This recipe has just 1 ingredient:
- corn tortillas
That's it. That's all you need.
When I say corn tortillas, I mean the store-bought corn tortillas that come in a package and are widely available in any grocery store that has a Mexican or Hispanic foods section.
For chips that aren't too small or too large, you'll want to use the standard size corn tortillas, which are about 5-6 inches across in diameter.
You can use the small, street taco size corn tortillas, as well. They will make tiny chips, unless you cut them into fourths.
These chips can be made in the oven or air fryer.
Bake in oven
To make your own homemade fat free tortilla chips, you'll first need to cut each tortilla into six pieces. You can do this faster by stacking all of the tortillas on top of each other, then using a long knife to cut through them all at once.
Think of it like you're cutting a pizza into six slices. That's the shape we're looking for. Put them on a baking tray in one layer.
Then, you bake it in a 400 degree F oven (that's 205 degrees C) for 15 minutes, then check on them. If they are still bendable or soft, they need to bake another 3-5 minutes.
You're looking for a pale golden brown. They'll continue to crisp up a little more when they cool, but they should be firm before you remove them from the oven.
That's it! Your oil-free tortilla chips are ready to enjoy!
Homemade tortilla chips can be made in the air fryer, too!
How many chips you can cook at once and how long it will take depends on the type and size of your air fryer.
Add chips to air fryer in a single layer, if possible. Don't overcrowd the tray or basket. Then, air fry at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes, checking on them and shaking the basket every 2 minutes. They should be crispy and not bend.
Looking for a homemade fat-free baked pita chips recipe? I've got one! Give it a try, they're just as easy and crunchy as these oil-free tortilla chips.
It's quick and easy to make your own baked tortilla chips at home.
It's healthier and low-calorie. Most standard, fried tortilla chips get about half of their total calories from the oil alone. So, if you skip the oil (which has very little, if any nutrition), you're cutting the calories in half. You can have your chips and eat them too!
Baking your own homemade tortilla chips also means you can control the salt content and seasonings. You can enjoy these as salt-free tortilla chips, or add your own preferred level of salt to them. You can also experiment with different flavors!
Yes! They will get crispy and crunchy without oil. See below for instructions.
I don't know about you, but my favorite chips are the ones that curl up or fold over on themselves because they're so crispy and munchable. Well, these chips kinda separate and create layers sometimes, depending on the corn tortillas you use. That makes them extra crunchy and munchable!
Don't overcrowd the sheet pan or air fryer basket!
The cut tortillas should not overlap each other. They can be close to each other as they will shrink and curl up a bit while they bake, but shouldn't overlap. Keep them in a single layer.
Six corn tortillas that have been cut into six triangles each just fit a large baking tray. That will give you 36 chips.
No. While I normally advise using a silicone baking mat to keep things from sticking, that is not necessary here.
These oil-free tortilla chips do not stick, as they have very little water content to them. In fact, if you use one, it will slow down the baking process and make it take much longer to get these crunchy baked corn chips done and ready for some dip!
🌮 More TexMex recipes you'll love
- Fresh pico de gallo (salsa fresca)
- Easy vegan chile con queso nacho cheese
- Vegan Sour Cream (cashew cream)
- 30+ vegan taco ideas
- Rainy day everything tacos
- Vegan spicy charro pinto beans in the crockpot
- Breakfast tacos with spinach, sweet potato and charro beans
Homemade Fat Free Baked Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer or oven to bake them
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F / 205 degrees C. If using air fryer, skip this step.
- Stack all of the tortillas on top of each other and, using a long knife, cut them into sixths to make little triangles (cut them like you would cut a pizza).
- Spread slices on a large baking sheet in one layer. For air fryer, add half the slices to your air fryer basket. Do not overlap the slices. Don't crowd the sheet pan or air fryer basket.
- Oven:Bake for 7-12 minutes and then check them. If they are still bendable or soft in the middle, bake another 2-5 minutes. They will continue to crisp up a little after they’re done baking, but they should be firm straight out of the oven.
- Air Fryer:Air fry at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes, checking on them and shaking the basket every 2 minutes. They are done when they are golden brown, crispy and not bendable.
Note: this recipe was updated on March 9, 2020 to make it a 1-ingredient fat free baked tortilla chips recipe. The optional addition of lime juice and salt was moved to the notes section.