I came home craving some Greek Spanakorizo (Spinach and Rice), but it’s loaded with olive oil and we’re trying to stay away from oil for awhile. And, I already had some brown rice cooked, so I decided to just make some of the spinach and serve it over the rice, instead of cooking it together.
In fact, when I make Spanakorizo, while the spinach is cooking in the tomatoes, I regularly “sample” some because it smells SO GOOD. So, why not just make that? I think I’ll do just that.
This dish came together in 15 minutes flat, thank goodness. I was starving!
I paired it with Herb Sautéed Mushrooms and served it over the brown rice I already had prepared. A quick and savory meal to cure my hunger.
What do you usually reach for when you come home hungry and need food stat?
Stewed Tomato, Garlic and Onion Spinach
Sweet and savory, these greens beg you to eat them straight from the pan.
Author: Abi Cowell
Recipe type: Main
- 1 medium-large sweet onion (diced)
- 8 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (15 oz.)
- 1lb fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add some of the liquid only from the tomatoes to the pan, to prevent sticking.
- Add spinach to pan by the handful, stirring after each handful, until all the spinach has been added. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add rest of tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve as a side or over brown rice.