I came home craving some Greek Spanakorizo (Spinach and Rice), but it’s loaded with olive oil and we’re trying to stay away from oil for awhile. And, I already had some brown rice cooked, so I decided to just make some of the spinach and serve it over the rice, instead of cooking it together.
In fact, when I make Spanakorizo, while the spinach is cooking in the tomatoes, I regularly “sample” some because it smells SO GOOD. So, why not just make that? I think I’ll do just that.
This dish came together in 15 minutes flat, thank goodness. I was starving!
I paired it with Herb Sautéed Mushrooms and served it over the brown rice I already had prepared. A quick and savory meal to cure my hunger.
What do you usually reach for when you come home hungry and need food stat?
- 1 medium-large sweet onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, 15 oz.
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add some of the liquid only from the tomatoes to the pan, to prevent sticking.
- Add spinach to pan by the handful, stirring after each handful, until all the spinach has been added. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add rest of tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve as a side or over brown rice.