Comforting and filling, this baked potato gets loaded with broccoli and plant-based, vegan cheese sauce for a delicious dinner. These are great for meal prep, too, since all the ingredients can be made ahead of time and kept on hand for a quick work lunch or dinner.
Do these remind you of the Wendy's Broccoli Cheese Baked Potato? They are similar, but this recipe is made completely with real food, no processed stuff. It's also vegan, plant-based, dairy-free and nut-free (if you use a nut-free plant-based milk).
For this recipe, you'll need:
- russet potatoes (other varieties will work, but russets are great for baked potatoes)
- vegan cheese sauce
- salt and pepper
- Bake the potatoes
- Make the vegan cheese sauce
- Steam broccoli
- Assemble your vegan broccoli cheese baked potatoes and enjoy!
How to bake potatoes in the oven:
- This can be done in the oven at 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C. You'll want to poke them all over with a knife to make sure they don't explode in the oven.
- Then, wrap them with aluminum foil and bake until they are tender. I stick a fork in the middle and if it goes in easily, they're done. They should take about 35-45 minutes.
How to bake potatoes in the microwave:
- You can also "bake" them in the microwave if you're short on time. I would only recommend this if you're cooking one or two potatoes.
- Important: Do not use aluminum foil, if you're microwaving them. Metal + microwaves = sparks and flames.
- To microwave a potato, poke it all over with a knife, then place them on a microwave-safe plate and microwave them for 5 minutes. Check for doneness with a fork.
- If they need more time, flip them with tongs and then microwave for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat, until fork tender.
How to bake potatoes in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker:
- Put 1 cup of water inside the Instant Pot insert.
- Place trivet at the bottom of the insert on top of the water. (the water should not be above the trivet)
- Place washed potatoes on top of the trivet.
- Cook on high pressure (press the Manual button) for 15-20 minutes.
- For medium potatoes, 15 minutes.
- For large potatoes, 20 minutes.
- For truly huge russet potatoes, 25 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release and check for doneness.
Making the vegan cheese sauce
If you don't already have some of this fauxveeta vegan cheese sauce in the refrigerator, you'll want to make some while you're potatoes are baking. Here's the recipe:
This silky, gooey sauce is nut-free, oil-free and is made from potatoes, carrots, onions and seasonings. It's a super versatile vegan cheese sauce, like velveeta.
Use it for this broccoli cheese potato, vegan mac and cheese, vegan queso, nachos, tostadas, tacos and more.
Steaming your broccoli
I have both types, but find myself using the microwave one more often. The metal basket is cool because you can use it in just about any pan and in your Instant Pot, too!
I prefer my broccoli to be crisp tender, not mushy, so I only steam it for about 3-4 minutes, until it's bright green and tender, but still has a bite to it in the stems.
Lastly, assemble your potatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Dive in for a comforting, filling dinner!
Meal Prep Instructions
- To meal prep four meals with this recipe, double potatoes and broccoli and use the entire cheese sauce recipe. Divide between four containers and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
How long will this recipe keep in the refrigerator?
- These will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- The cheese sauce will also keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Cheesy Broccoli Side Dish - omit the potato and just combine the steamed broccoli with cheese sauce in a saucepan to heat and serve.
Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup - Boil potatoes in enough water to cover them until tender. Reserve 2 cups of the water, then drain potatoes. Add them back to the pan with the reserved water, cheese sauce and raw broccoli. Cook until broccoli is tender and breaking apart. Season well with salt, black pepper and a little bit of white pepper.
Broccoli Cheese French Fries - Make french fries in the oven or air fryer. Top with steamed broccoli and pour cheese sauce over them. Serve with ketchup. Dive in!
💜 More recipes you'll love
Love this recipe? Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 2 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 2 cups prepared Fauxveeta Vegan Cheese Sauce (see below for link to recipe)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Stab your potatoes in several places, to allow steam under the peel to release while baking (goal: no explodiing potatoes!). Wrap each potato in aluminum foil and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until they are cooked through and a fork inserted in the middle goes in easily. *See notes for faster microwave instructions.
- Prepare a batch of Fauxveeta Vegan Cheese Sauce while the potatoes are baking, if you don't already have some on hand. It's helpful to keep some of this in the refrigerator for quick meals like this (and mac and cheese, of course).
- Steam broccoli for about 3 minutes, until bright green and crisp tender. I use a microwave steamer like this most of the time, but also have a stovetop steamer basket like this that you can use in most pans and in your Instant Pot.
- Once your cheese sauce is prepared, keep it hot over low heat in a saucepan on the stove.
- Once your potatoes are done, carefully remove them from the aluminum foil, place in a bowl and cut the potato down the middle. Season with salt and pepper. Then, divide the steamed broccoli between each potato. Then, pour about 1 cup of hot cheese sauce over each potato. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reserve remaining cheese sauce for mac and cheese, vegan queso or more potatoes!
If you'd like your broccoli to break down and get completely incorporated, you can add it to your cheese sauce, as you heat it up on the stove and then add the mixture to your potato.
Microwaving Potatoes: If you'd like to cook your potatoes in the microwave, do not use aluminum foil. Stab them in several places, place them on a plate and microwave for 5 minutes. Stick them with a fork to see if they are done. If not, flip them with tongs and cook another 2-3 minutes. Repeat until tender and a fork inserted in the middle goes in easily.
Meal Prep: To meal prep four meals with this recipe, double potatoes and broccoli and use the entire cheese sauce recipe. Divide between four containers and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 1330mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 13gSugar: 35gProtein: 24g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.