This vegan, plant-based carrot cake oatmeal is full of spices and a healthy, but indulgent addition to a weekend brunch. Great for batch cooking or weekly meal prep, make this yummy carrot cake oatmeal for the week and you'll have breakfast ready to go.
To make this healthy, low-fat carrot cake oatmeal, you'll need the following ingredients:
- rolled oats
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- vanilla extract
- toppings of your choice! For traditional carrot cake toppings, use:
👨👩👦👦 Serving suggestions
This is so delicious with thawed frozen cherries and a little flaxseed on top.
But, to make it even more like carrot cake, add these toppings:
- pineapple tidbits
- vanilla dairy-free yogurt (mimics the sweet creaminess of frosting)
- walnut and/or pecan pieces (dry roasted in a pan for a few minutes brings out even more flavor)
Hidden veggies for kids
This healthy carrot cake oatmeal recipe is a fantastic way to get your kiddos to eat more veggies.
It's sort of like a hidden vegetable breakfast once the carrots cook into the oatmeal. Top it with their favorite fruit, like pineapple tidbits, sliced banana or raisins.
Vegan weight loss meal
This carrot cake oatmeal is a great option for vegan weight loss because all the basic ingredients are low in calorie density. It will keep you full, as well.
To keep it low calorie density, then choose to top your oatmeal with fruit (like sliced banana, cherries or pineapple). Omit or limit higher calorie dense foods, like dried fruit, nuts, seeds and nut butters.
Change up your morning oatmeal
If you're looking for ways to spice up your everyday morning bowl of oatmeal, check out the below article → 10 Ways to Spice Up your Oatmeal.
Do half carrot, half apple
Instead of using all grated carrot, use half grated carrot and half grated or chopped apple.
Switch up the toppings
Switch out the toppings different weeks or spread out an oatmeal bar, so everyone can add whichever topping they like best. Some good choices are:
- diced apples
- sliced banana
- diced pineapple
- frozen cherries
- frozen berries
- dried cranberries
- nuts and seeds like slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, pepitas, flax seed
Change up the spices
Batch cook this meal by making a double recipe, so you'll have plenty for breakfast over the week.
💜 More recipes you'll love
If you love this healthy carrot cake oatmeal recipe, check out these other plant-based breakfast ideas!
Love this recipe? Subscribe here so you don't miss any new recipes!
Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 2 large carrots, grated on small grate of box grater
- 4 cups water
- pinch sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pan.
- Add grated carrot, oatmeal and pinch of salt to water. Stir, bring back to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until the oats are thick and the carrots have cooked and are soft.
- Serve with your choice of toppings! See notes below for topping suggestions!
- frozen sweet cherries, thawed, with juice
- diced apple
- diced or crushed pineapple
- sliced banana
- flax seed (ground or whole)
- maple syrup or other sweetener
- almond milk or vanilla soy yogurt
- walnut pieces
- pecan pieces
Try using other spices, like allspice and cloves, as well if you like!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 7gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.