- silken tofu (firm or extra firm)
- lemon juice
- apple cider vinegar
- cane sugar (or other sweetener, like maple syrup or agave nectar)
- sea salt
The best brand of silken tofu for this recipe is Morinu silken tofu. You may find it at your Asian grocery store, in the Asian foods aisle of your supermarket or at international food stores. Or, you can buy it online at Amazon.
Silken tofu does not need to be pressed. In fact, if you try to press it, it will fall apart.
At this point, it's ready to be eaten atop chili, nachos, tacos, baked potatoes or whatever else you'd like a dollop of sour cream on!
It will thicken up more once cooled in the refrigerator.
Keep it stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Homemade tofu sour cream lasts up to a week in the refrigerator.
Keep prepared tofu sour cream in the refrigerator.
Yes! Using nuts, seeds or tofu, along with lemon juice, vinegar and salt, you can make your own sour cream.
Usually, vegan sour cream is made of either tofu, nuts (cashews or almonds) or seeds (like sunflower seeds). It's blended with something sour, like vinegar or lemon juice, along with salt and maybe sugar or other flavors.
We like all three but our favorite is cashew cream.
👨👩👦👦 Serving suggestions
What can you serve this vegan tofu sour cream with? Try dolloping it on or mixing it into one of these plant-based recipes!
- Creamy Spinach, Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas
- Vegan Saag Paneer - Indian Spiced Creamy Spinach
- Vegan Chorizo Potato Breakfast Tacos
- Vegan Saag Chana - Instant Pot Chickpea Spinach Curry
- Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Lazy Vegan Chili (instant pot or stovetop)
- Jamaican Rice and Pigeon Peas (vegan)
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
With just one or two additions, you can create a completely different dip using this tofu cream base. Try one of these suggestions, or come up with your own!
- Garlic Aioli: add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 extra garlic cloves when blending. Great with paella or as a mayo substitute!
- Chipotle Sour Cream: add 2 chipotles in adobo sauce when blending. Delicious on tacos, nachos, tostadas, burritos or anything TexMex.
- Taco Dip: mix in 1 package of taco seasoning to prepared vegan sour cream.
💜 More recipes you'll love
If you like this tofu cream recipe, then check out my recipes for other plant-based sauces and condiments!
Love this recipe? Subscribe here so you don't miss any new recipes!
Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 12.3 ounce box silken tofu (Morinu extra firm)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, as necessary.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 31Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.