Cashew cream is super simple and easy to make homemade. It has just a few ingredients:
Soak your cashews in very hot water for 20 minutes.
Drain and rinse cashews.
Blend until smooth.
You can soak cashews for hours, but what if you don't have the time?
The fastest way to soak cashews is to place them in a heat-proof bowl and pour very hot (but not boiling) water over them. Allow to soak for 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours).
Drain and rinse them before adding to the blender.
Alternatively, you can soak raw cashews in room temperature water for up to 4 hours on the counter. Or, overnight in the refrigerator.
Add cool water when blending
I made the mistake of using hot water when making this recipe once. The cashew cream thickened so much I could barely get it out of the blender jar.
So, be sure to use fresh cold or cool water when blending up your vegan sour cream.
Are raw cashews safe to eat?
So the raw cashews you buy in the grocery store are indeed safe to eat.
How long do cashews need to soak?
- In very hot water: 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours)
- In room temperature water: Up to 4 hours
- In the refrigerator: overnight
👨👩👦👦 Serving suggestions
This vegan sour cream can be used as a 1:1 substitute in any recipe that calls for sour cream
It is rich and creamy, just like normal sour cream.
Here are some dishes that become extra scrumptious with a dollop of cashew cream on them.
Spaghetti with Dill Pesto
💜 More recipes you'll love
- Fresh Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Fauxveeta Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Healthy Homemade Fat Free Baked Tortilla Chips
- Vegan Saag Paneer (Indian Spiced Creamy Spinach)
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Baked Potato
Love this recipe? Subscribe here so you don't miss any new recipes!
Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup cool water
- Soaking cashews: Put cashews in heat-proof bowl. Boil 2 cups of water. Pour boiling water over cashews and allow to soak for 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours).
- After at least 20 minutes has elapsed, drain cashews and place them in a high speed blender, along with all other ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Stop blender and scrape down sides with a rubber spatula, as needed.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freeze leftover cashew cream for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with nachos, tacos, tostadas, chili and more!
I have not attempted this recipe in a food processor. If you use a food processor, my recommendations would be to soak your cashews for 2 hours beforehand and process as long as you need to to get a smooth consistency.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 45Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutritional calculations are done using online tools, such as recipe widget Create. Even though we have tried to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates.