Ready in under 15 minutes, these vegan cornbread muffins are a perfect side to chili, kidney beans or pinto beans. An air fryer version of Southern comfort food.
For these air fryer vegan cornbread muffins, you'll need:
- yellow corn meal
- sugar (or coconut sugar, maple syrup)
- baking powder
- unsweetened almond milk
- applesauce (or oil)
Making the batter
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Add the milk and applesauce (or oil) to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Pour batter in silicone muffin cups
Fill silicone muffin cups ⅔ full and then carefully place them in the air fryer one at a time.
How many muffin cups will fit will depend on how big your air fryer is.
If you stuff them in, they will be shaped funny, like you see below with some of the muffins.
The next batch I made, I only put 10 muffin tins in and the muffins were shaped normal.
There's one missing because I had to taste test it immediately, of course.
Bake in air fryer
Bake at 400 degrees F for 9-11 minutes.
Once your first batch is done, remove the cornbread muffins from air fryer with tongs or oven mitts, remove muffins from liners and cool on wire rack.
Then, repeat, baking your second batch.
The best muffin cups for the air fryer
To make these in the air fryer, you can't use a traditional muffin tray (it's too big) or paper muffin cups (they're too flimsy).
You'll need to use a muffin cup that has strength to stand up on its own with batter in it.
These silicone muffin cups on Amazon work great! And, they're non-stick, so you don't need to add oil.
Another option: If you have a small pan that will fit in your air fryer, then you can bake straight in that!
If it is not non-stick, be sure to line with parchment paper or spray with oil to prevent sticking, if using a pan. Here are some silicone mini loaf pans on Amazon that would work.
Tip: Make sure the pan fits before you pour the batter in.
👨👩👦👦 Serving Suggestions
These vegan cornbread muffins would be delicious served with:
- Lazy Vegan Chili made with pantry staples
- Vegan Spicy Charro Beans
- Instant Pot Red Kidney Beans and Rice
- Texas 3-Bean Vegan Chili
- Instant Pot Pigeon Peas (no soak)
Love this recipe? Please rate it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ down below. ⬇️ And, if you make it, please tag me @veryveganish on Instagram in your posted photos! I would love to see your creations. 😄
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (or coconut sugar, maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup applesauce (or oil)
- ⅓ cup frozen corn kernels (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add almond milk, applesauce (or oil) and frozen corn kernels to dry ingredients and mix together with a spoon until combined.
- Fill individual silicone muffin cups ⅔ full, then place in air fryer basket carefully.
- Bake muffins in air fryer at 400 degrees F for 9-11 minutes.
- Repeat with second batch, as necessary.
- Serve with Lazy Vegan Chili (instant pot or stovetop), Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice or Vegan Spicy Charro Beans in the crockpot.
For oil-free version: use applesauce.
If using oil, vegetable oil and avocado oil are both good options.